They should ADD West Virginia's Eastern Panhandle!!!
Only one in six immigrants detained in the Southeast has access to an attorney in removal proceedings.
These proceedings will determine whether they have a right to remain in the United States, to live the lives they have built here alongside their families, or whether they are forced to return to a country they may not even recognize as home. For some, winning or losing is a matter of life or death.
The Southeast Immigrant Freedom Initiative aims to safeguard due process by providing high-quality, pro bono legal representation to detained immigrants. We operate at three (soon to be four) immigrant detention centers in the Deep South:
- Protect immigrants' due process rights
- Challenge the deportation machine,
- Educate the public about immigrants and thereby change the narrative
- Hold law enforcement and detention facility personnel accountable for violations of immigrants' civil rights
- Cultivate and expand attorney engagement.
For more information, or to get in touch, email us.